Tuesday, January 31, 2017

REVISED When You Think Tim McGraw I Hope You Think Of Me



So my sister is COUNTRY. And because I’m the younger sister I have that natural “I don’t want to be like my sister” sentiment so I’m NOT COUNTRY. Still, I had to ask her what album I should do for my least and her favorite genre.
Tim McGraw is actually a pretty cool guy. McGraw has made fourteen albums so far (and he’s still going) which either means he just keeps repeating the same thing over and over again or he’s a really creative guy. But according to the many awards he’s won (3 Grammys, 8 CMAs, 6 Billboard Awards and many more), most people seem to think it’s the latter. I’ll be reviewing Live Like You Were Dying which was written in 2004 because it seemed to have the biggest fan following.

I'll be rating the songs based on cowboy hats (🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠 is the best, 🤠 probably means I vomited in between listening to the song and reviewing it)


How Bad Do You Want It
As soon as I pulled this song up on my Spotify, I immediately felt that same feeling I always get when I listen to country music – OH NO STOP TURN IT OFF. The twangy “gee-tar” in the beginning paired with just Tim’s voice allowed the song to start off slowly and lead into the rest of the song which is louder and country-summer-stadium-tour Powerful. But, Tim does sound like he’s telling a story throughout the song which was cool because I’m a sucker for lyrics that *~mean something~*. 🤠🤠

My Old Friend
This song didn’t make me sick to my stomach. Good for you, Tim! Honestly without the addition of the banjo this would have sounded like one of those acoustic indie songs that everyone is obsessed with. It had that classic storytelling element as well (which is maybe what country is all about!) and seemed to actually mean something to Tim as he sang. His voice was softer and yet more assured throughout this song, as if he knew what he had to say but didn’t know how to say it. So I’m pleasantly surprised. 🤠🤠🤠🤠

Can’t Tell Me Nothin’
I “can’t tell you nothin’” about this song. Haha! But seriously, I guess it was catchy. Not in a good way, though. Let’s just say if Tim would’ve sang the phrase“can’t tell me nothin’” one more time I would’ve stolen the bow from his obnoxious violin player and STABBED HIM WITH IT. 🤠

Old Town New
Ah yes. Every country album has to have the sad, “I’ve lost love song” on it. Yet Tim seemed to make it something more, actually. It wasn’t just oh I’m sad and she left me and it’s over. He was actually the one that was losing his love but couldn’t leave his, I’m guessing wife?, because everything reminds him of her and he knows he still wants her and doesn’t that just make your heart beat faster, gals? Does Tim have a single brother by any chance? Lol anyway, the build-up of this song was great too. It followed the idea of him first not realizing he needed a change with just him and a guitar but when the violins came in he KNEW he had to fight for her. And the climax was him going to her, every instrument wailing out the same question, do you still love me? Ahhh romance. Gross. 🤠🤠🤠

Live Like You Were Dying
Ok, this song actually made me emotional. Long story short, it’s about Tim's dad that finds out he’s dying from cancer and Tim’s dad says he's not afraid of dying because he already lived a full life. The only place where the instruments in the background mattered was during that AMAZING key change. I love key changes especially when they make the hair on my arms raise and this was that kind of key change - a seemingly simple half step higher yet it made Tim's voice SO MUCH BETTER.
“Like tomorrow is a gift/And you’ve got eternity to think about what to do with it” is the line that I think spoke to me the most. We worry about education and jobs and money when we should be focusing on the times we spend outside of that zone – with family and friends making memories. This song did make me think, so if you’re looking to ponder your existence, give this track a good listen!!🤠🤠🤠🤠 🤠

Drugs or Jesus?
“Everyone wants to do drugs and *I* want to get high on JESUS!” Calm down, Tim. If you honestly think Jesus didn’t smoke a blunt at the last supper you’re just fooling yourself. 🤠

Back When
This song was really whiny. Tim misses the old country music. You know, when he sang it “before it was cool”. “I miss back whennnnnn”. So do I. Like before I started listening to this song. 🤠

Something’s Broken
"Something's Broken" is what I expected to listen to when I started playing this album. Tim's voice is deeper and has a rougher sound to it. Which is good considering he's talking about his lady leaving him. It sounds like he's trying to make himself sound tougher. Either way, this different is a good different. It really shows how great of an artist Tim really is. A lot of artists just have a progressing sound between each album, but he was able to do it between songs. It shows growth and maturity as a singer. Still the song was super country so I personally give it 🤠🤠


Open Season On My Heart

Let’s just say that I could’ve written this back in 7th grade when I thought I was going to be famous someday. It follows the ABAB rhyme pattern and consists of the same four chords. Normally I wouldn’t judge artists for following a trend that sounds great, but after listening to the first 8 tracks, I know Tim’s better than this. 🤠

Everybody Hates Me
I SO WISH I would’ve hated this one so I could’ve sassily said “yeah, because you made this song”, but I like it!! It almost makes me want to buy a red pickup truck, drink some cold beers from the bottle and own a tractor. Almost. 🤠🤠

Walk Like A Man
If Tim didn’t have the country sounding voice that he does, the beginning would’ve seriously sounded like a slow jam pop song. Unfortunately, that only lasted for 30 seconds. But this song was chilling. Yes, it had the same beat and instrumentation and probably chords of his other slower songs, but the lyrics in contrast made it all the better. It was pretty much about how his dad was a screw up and his mom wanted more for the son. I guess country boys have daddy issues too. Still, Tim showed great depth here. If only more country artists sang about real issues. 🤠🤠🤠

Blank Sheet Of Paper
Another whiny and unimpressive love song. 🤠

Just Be Your Tear
This was "You Belong With Me" by TSwift except for boys. Seriously a jam. I can see myself embarrassingly dancing in my room to this song when I get a crush on someone I can't have. Taylor writes about Tim McGraw in her first album when she tried to be country (take a look at the title), and I'm guessing she was probably super inspired by him just by listening to this song. Thank God for Tim, because if he brought me Taylor I owe him my middle school self's life. 🤠🤠🤠

Do You Want Fries With That?
No words for the hate I have for this song. That's all. 🤠 

Kill Myself
Hi this song is grimly dark. Again Tim tackles a tough topic while still keeping the same sound. The song still has the usual enjoyable country feel to it but the lyrics penetrate your soul. Seriously profound stuff from this guy. I love how he puts aside his image to write something different from any other country song I have heard. 🤠🤠🤠🤠

We Carry On
Zoom in on Tim McGraw's huge stadium filled crowd. Everyone is swaying in unison and raising their lighters up in approval. I feel like this is the song every *true* Tim McGraw fan gets down to. "We Carry On" is that song you hear in your head when you're having that moment that you know is going to be an amazing memory and you stop to look around at all of the love in your life and time stops. A fantastic portrayal of love without having to say it. 🤠🤠🤠

This album has opened my eyes a bit to the potential country could have. I know I'm never going to like ALL country (who likes all music from a certain genre?), but I can at least say I don't hate it anymore! Perhaps it isn't just people singing about tractors and corn fields and beer. If you've never given country a try, give this album a listen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment